Wednesday, May 30, 2012

DIY: Bow Down To My Bandeau


This is my very own bow bandeau, crafted by the very hands typing this blog post! Just take a moment to examine the design of this piece of cloth. The amount of labor put into this tiny top was overwhelming. Perhaps six hours were spent on my friend's kitchen table. The results, however, are pleasing to my eyes. This item came solely from one, vintage, ankle length dress my grandmother would have worn in the 50's. With a little imagination, motivation, and frequent snack breaks, we were able to create a hip bathing suit top. (Well, I will be using it for swimming but the top can suit many occasions.) As astonished as I am when looking at the bandeau, nothing compares to the shock of knowing these sell for 130$ on Etsy.com. Of course the products displayed on Etsy are completely gorgeous with the most stunning of fabrics and matching bottoms. But, are they really worth all that much? I guess they put a price on their pain and suffering and added that in as well. In comparison with my top to theirs, there is barely a difference. I did not add a strap to mine nor created bottoms but with the extra fabric I have left that is an option. In my opinion I think my DIY project is a good replica and completely personalized to my taste. Since I realized that their is barely anyone who sells these tops for a decent price, I am considering starting my own shop? That is if anyone is interested. They would be customized to your taste, and half the price. (Maybe more) If anyone is interested let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment