Sunday, May 6, 2012

DIY Project: Give Me Galaxy



The "Galaxy" theme has been appearing in many different pieces of clothing this year. Everything from leggings, t-shirts, shoes, and even bows have been embellished with this intricate design and with a costly fee. The price range for a pair of Black Milk leggings are around 70$ dollars excluding the shipping costs! With the lack of stores carrying this design, and the extraordinarily high price tag,  even t-shirts are hard to come across. Desperate for a galaxy printed top I searched the Internet, testing out ways to re-create such a complex design. To my surprise, I came to find out that you do not need very much skill, just a lot of paint!


What You Need
1) Anything you'd like to decorate.
I used an old purple shirt.

2) Paints in varying colors but you
need white for stars. (I'd stick
with Fabric paints.)

3) Makeup sponges, brushes, and a
fine tipped pencil to make dots.

Creating The Design

At first glance, the design may seem very tricky. But, do not be discouraged! The trick to creating this piece is overlapping colors and blending them really well. You want to sponge on varying shades of paint, I used colors of blue, pink, white, and purple. Before starting on the shirt practice your technique! Do not use large amounts of paint on your sponge, stick to the size of a small dot every time you go back for more. Make sure that you keep a very balanced portion of colors. Be aware that the look will not resemble a galaxy until the stars have been added. For a more realistic galaxy add galaxy swirls, and shooting stars. Do not be concerned if you mess up! The glory of this project is you can overlap colors, blend , and mask your mistakes until you are truly satisfied with the ending product.

I am very pleased on how my shirt came out and encourage any one who wants a galaxy print to try a DIY project before reaching for your wallet.
I spent 0$ on this project since everything I needed was laying around my household.
I'm pretty pleased! What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment