Tuesday, May 8, 2012

DIY Hair: Ombre Is Not a Mexican Dish

After: New Ombre Hair
I'm one of those people who are constantly on a crave to reinvent their hair, which normally makes my naturally curly locks very angry with me. However, ignoring that crucial fact I decided to try to get the "Ombre" look. For those of you who've had a blind eye towards hair trends, the Ombre look was popular in 2010. When I first heard of "Ombre" I assumed it was some sort of spicy, Mexican dish. I came to realize that it's a gradient effect from which your hair gets lighter and lighter making it appear like your roots have grown out. It's more classy looking then how it sounds- if done right! 

                      What I Adore  
Day before
My natural hair is a very boring, standard, black color with nothing creative about it. One of the main reasons why I adore Ombre hair is it provides anyone's hairstyle with dimension. It makes your locks more interesting to the eyes as you focus on the gradient effect of colors swirling throughout. It satisfied my crave for a new look and can transfer to the spring/summer season. Picture nice beach waves with an Ombre effect? Beautiful!  

Couple weeks after
The Damage
Bleach is a feisty product that should only be handled by skilled professionals. If you have not messed around with bleach before be aware! Harsh chemicals are known for taking your hair for hostage, and returning it with dry, course ends. No mercy!
I came to terms with this and continued with caution.
The aftermath lead to me getting a slight haircut, but it
 was long overdue anyways. Tip: To recover your hair
 get a deep conditioner! It does wonders and is cheap. 


Overall
This is a very simple, cheap look that can make or break your hair. My friend and I experimented with it on my own hair making it so cheap. Salons normally run their rates from 60-120$ depending on where you go due to how long  of a process it is. However, it's very low maintenance, only needing a touch-up every couple of months. I'm looking to re-do mine and maybe go a little higher and blonder with it. Perhaps I will even add a touch of pastel blue to the tips? Hmm... 

Photo credit to: thefashioncitizen


2 comments:

  1. Oh god your natural curls are so beautiful, but I understand your choice of dying your hair. I'm reinventing my hair for a few years and now I'm addicted to 'change my hair' with dyeing and cut it. A girl of my school dyed her hair pink underneath and it became reaaally dry, so now she has cut her hair shorter. Be carefull with your hair darling, especially with beautiful curls like yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much! Honestly, my curls are a big pain considering they never curl properly. Anyways, I am very cautious when it comes to my hair cause' I never want to have to cut it after my many years of growing it out. But, dyeing my hair is just too much fun!

      Delete